Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Spicy Turnips.


Have you ever tried this vegetable?

Few months back, I was bored of having the regular vegetables you know like brinjal, carrot, beans, cabbage, spinach...etc.I wanted a vegetable to make a spicy fry.I came across this half violet vegetable and it immediately gained my attention.It was more similar to 'knol khol ' that we get back in India so wanted to give it a shot.This dish turned out so great that I have become addicted to it.Nowadays turnip gets into my shopping list just like, onions and tomatoes.
This receipe is kind of dry and spicy, but it can also be had with just plain rice/chappati as a curry and its also a good replacement for potato for people who count calories.

Ingredients:

3 medium sized turnip
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium sized onions chopped
1 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
few cury leaves chopped or 1 tsp of curry leaves powder
salt as needed

Method

Peel and chop the turnips into small cubes
Chope the onions and mince the garlic
Add 1 tsp of olive oil, and the garlic and onions when its hot
Fry till tranlucent, now add the turnip pieces and mix well with the onions and galic twice.
Now add chilli , turmeric, fennel powders and curry leaves/powder
Add salt as needed.Mix well , sprinkle some water and close with lid.
reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5-8 minutes.
Open the lid,Stir well cook in low flame for 5 mins and switch off the stove.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy.

12 comments:

RP said...

No I have never tried this vegetable. Looks good.
Long time ago, I had planned to try a new vegetable every month. I don't know what happened to that plan now... just remembered it after seeing your post. LOL

Tanuja said...

nice spicy recipe thanks for recipe sumi

I have a blog do visit sometime.

BDSN said...

I bought this vegetable recently and my husband tried to soak in salt,lemon and chilli powder but the juices dint get into it and it tastes just OK..we bought like a packet of 6 turnips and he used them up completely..wish there were few left so i could have tried yours..

Anonymous said...

I have used turnip in place of potatoes. It does soak up spices just a potato would.

Your recipe sounds yummy. I've never used fennel powder in a curry. Will have to give it a try.

cheers!

Lakshmi said...

haven't tried turnip till now. now after seeing your blog, i changed my mind.

sailu said...

Your recipe is motivating me to try cooking turnips..:)

Sumi said...

rp- I think its high you revisit your plan, because there are lots of vegetables out there for us to try
Thanks Tanuja
bdsn - let me know how this receipe turned with your next batch of turnips :)
Saffron hut - Ya, fennel seeds add a nice spicy aromo to all the dishes..do try it next time.
Thanks sailu and lakshmi.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe.. It came out very well. Thanks for introducing a new vegetable to me.
--Nisha

? said...

Good recipe; the addition of dried ginger will add a Kashmiri flavour to it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails