Monday, April 03, 2006

Prawns varuval/fry


This weekend I made Prawns after a very long time.The taste of the prawns/shrimps that we get here nowhere matches the taste of those we get in India, I dont know why, may be because they are precooked, anyway..because of this we have stopped eating shrimp for quite a long time. Still once in a while when I get the cravings to eat shrimp we would get the uncooked ones from the store in small amount.
When we were kids, my mother used to make a dish called prawn thokku on sundays, which we would always prefer to eat with just white rice and rasam.The combination of rasam and this thokku is absolutely delicious.
I wanted to do the same this weekend... so made prawn thokku, sambhar and rasam for the weekend lunch.

Ingredients:
Prawns/Shrimp - 1 lb
1 mediun sized onions
1 medium sized tomato
1 tsp chilli pwd
1 tsp sombhu powder (fennel powder)
1 tblsp minced garlic
few curry leaves.

Method.
Clean and wash the shrimp.Sprinkle with turmeric pwd, mix and keep it aside
In a pan add 2 tsps of oil, when the oil is hot add garlic, onions, curry leaves and fry well.
When the onions is golden brown, add the chopped tomatoes and fry till oil seperates.
Now add the chilli powder, sombhu powder and salt. add 1/2 cup of water and close with a lid.
When the gravy is bubbling, add the shrimp and mix well till its coated well with the masala.
reduce the flame and allow it to be cooked for 5 mins or till the gravy thickens.
Switch of the stove and garnish with cilantro.







9 comments:

Luv2cook said...

WOW..my mouth is watering by looking at that prawn varuval...good pictures too!

Sumi said...

Thanks mam

Unknown said...

That looks divine. I love prawns.

Sumi said...

santhi,
sombhu is fennel seeds.I always make powder out of it and store it in a bottle, and will add 1/4tsp in all frying items.The taste will be good.

Thanks pushpa for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Looks Great!!!

Found you from Anthony's site. Now that I know what sombu powder is, I can make it..:)

Sumi said...

Thanks Vee.
Do try the receipe and let me know how it turned out

Anonymous said...

df

Anonymous said...

From Ria mohan (16 months old ) To Sumi aunty,
My mom also loves prawn fry with rasam combination. But she won't put sombu powder normally. now learnt from your recipe and tried yday evening. It turned out really great...Thanks...Your blog is great, good effort and I'm sure pictures will tempt everyone to try your recipes...keep posting such interesting ones!!.. bye from Ria mohan

Anonymous said...

Hello can you ask me how do you make fried zucchini? Emil me back! at thatgangstamusic@yahoo.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails