Monday, April 04, 2011

Semiya Kichadi - In the memory of my Brother

I made and pictured this dish long back but never get to post it, as I thought that the picture was not so good. But today somehow I felt like blogging about this dish as this was my Brother's favorite breakfast item. As a matter of fact he would have this any time of the day. He had asked me couple of times about why I have not blogged this recipe for which I answered that 'there's nobody out there who would be interested in this one other than you'....
Much to the irony, he left home having Semiya Kichadi (Amma made this on his request) as breakfast on the day fate took him away from us.
I did'nt even name the picture properly while storing, so had to spent almost an hour digging through all the folder in my archives and was so happy to have found it atlast.
So here goes the recipe...in the memory of my dear brother....


Ingredients:

1 cup Semiya/Vermicelli
1 large onion
4 pods of garlic
1inch ginger
2 green chillies
handful of mint (optional)
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, potatoes)
oil and salt to taste.

Method.
Dice the vegetables to small cubes
Crush the garlic and ginger.
Slit the green chillies and thinly slice the onions
Roast the semiya/vermicelli in about a tblsp of oil under medium flame, till slightly brown.Keep aside
In the same pan add 2 tblsp of oil. Add the crushed garlic and ginger, sliced onions, green chillies,mint  and curry leaves. Saute till the onions wilt and turn translucent.
Add the chopped veggies and salt. Stir well for about 3 mins.
Now add 1 1/2 (one and half) cup of water and close with a lid.
When the water starts to boil add the roasted vermicelli and cook till all the water is absorbed.


12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry for your brother. Kichadi looks delicious.

Chitra said...

I am sorry to hear the news about your brother. May his soul rest in peace. May the Lord's comfort and strength be with you all at this difficult time.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Sumi, I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy. May god give you the strength to heal and move on. **hugs**
I hate to ask but was it an accident?
BTW, I love Semiya Kichadi...with lots of veggies,just like you have made yours.

Aruna Manikandan said...

One of my favorite....
looks perfect dear..
nice clicks :)

Unknown said...

I love anything with semiya..Khichadi looks super delish

Unknown said...

My fav comfort food anytime...looks too good

kitchen queen said...

lovely and innovative semiya khichdi.

Priya Suresh said...

Kichadi looks delicious..May his ould rest in peace, be strong Sumi...

Cilantro said...

Hope blogging brings some comfort to you. I cannot say anything more.

Cham said...

Only time can heel you and your family. The kichadi looks delicious & take care,
Hugs to you.

chef and her kitchen said...

I can understand your feelings dear..keep urself busy wid something..cant say more..:)
and this semiya kichadi looks nice..

San said...

My eyes are filled with tears now,sorry to hear it coz i have a brother too(i can understand) .May god give you good strength ,hugs to you .

Kichadi is delicious dear .

http://sanscurryhouse.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails