Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Turkish Baklava

We were busy packing and moving to the new house during the new year weekend that I couldnt wish you all. So I would like to take this time to wish all my readers and blog friends 

 "A Very Happy and Fabulous New Year"




I wanted my first post of the new year to be on the sweeter side. So I decided to give the Baklava recipe posted by DK (of 'The ChefInYou) a try. I had bookmarked this as soon as it was posted, but I tried it rather quickly compared to my other favorite bookmarked ones. I have never tasted this sweet, but her pictures , the step by steps and the post in general were so tempting that got I hold of a pack of phyllo sheets immediatly the next time I went shopping. 

The recipe was very simple compared to the richness of the sweet, but handling of the phyllo sheets was a little bit dificult as it gets dried up faster.So has to keep them covered and work with them one by one.
As DK had warned in her post, the dish was very addictive and I could not restrain myself going to the refrigerator now and then. Its high in calories, but a piece of this sinfully delicious sweet is worth trying once in a while. I made my version with lightly toasted walnuts and almonds, but I think addition of pistachios would make it more favourful.
I strongly recommend this recipe as a 'must try'  one for those who can get hold of the phyllo sheets.




Recipe source - TheChefInYou
Ingredients:
2 cups  finly chopped almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tblsp cinnnamon powder
1/8th tsp clove powdr
2- 3 tblsp bread crumbs ( I missed it somehow, but better to add it )

For the syrup
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 stick cinnamon
1 tblsp lemon juic.

Method

Preheat the oven to 160C.
Mix all the ingredients for the filling and keep aside.
Butter a glass shallow dish with butter
Place 8-10 sheets of  phyllo one by one buttering each layer as you go.
Now spread the filling mixture evenly
Place the othe 10 sheets over the filling buttering each sheet as you go.
Using a sharp knife carefully cut the pastry into diamonds.
Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 mins.(until the top is golden brown).

While its baking prepare the syrup.
Boil the ingredients for the syrup and cool till its slightly warm.
When the Pastry is out of the oven leave it for 5 mins.
Now pour the syrup all over it.




How easy was that ....
And now for the hardest part ....Wait 8 hrs for  the syrup to be soaked well. You can leave it over night on the counter, no need to refrigerate.

Enjoy a large piece of this delicious pastry for yourself first thing in the morning ...



19 comments:

Finla said...

Happy Newyear. They looks so perfect crunchy sweety delicous.

Finla said...

Happy Newyear. They looks so perfect crunchy sweety delicous.

Cilantro said...

I love Baklava, I saw the recipe from DK too. I have them ta my friends place and Restaurants. Would love to make them at home someday.

Priya Suresh said...

Happy New year wishes to u Sumi..Beautiful baklava, yet to try out at homa..

Soma Pradhan said...

bakhlavas look very tasty dear..wish you a very happy and healthy new year

s said...

dont get phyllo sheets where i live, but those pics are a real treat for the eyes!

ruchikacooks said...

Happy New Year Sumi.

The baklava is so inviting and crunchy, you have captured it well. I get the phyllo sheets here, will try it soon :) I get attracted to sweets like anything.

My mom used to put mavilakku when I was a kid and I just used to eat, only after wedding I tried and it came out well, thanks for visiting ruchikacooks.

Tina said...

Yummy and crispy..Never trie this...Looks fabulous dear...

LifenSpice said...

I always buy this at the Turkish stores. As you say, its highly addictive. They have come out so well!

Pari Vasisht said...

happy new year. This baklava looks so tempting, I had also bookmarked this but alas we do not get the phyllo..

Unknown said...

They look fantastic.

kitchen queen said...

wow! the sweet looks tempting and inviting with a nice click.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm!!!! Looks delicious. I love how "sunny" your photos are!

Malar Gandhi said...

Wish you happy new year, Sumi.

Baklava looks incredibly beautiful...very inviting:)

Sushma Mallya said...

Beautiful pics and loved the layers on it..looks perfect and happy new year to you and your family

pedestal dining tables said...

I never had Baklava ever since! I hope I can make some and do it the right way. It looks delicious!

Padma said...

I just love this sweet and have prepared it for many parties. Looks so tempting and nice pics Sumi :)

Aparna said...

Never tried this dear, luvly recipes..gud presentation...following you dear :)

Anonymous said...

You have a great website that I have been referring to with regards to learning new recipes. Keep it up.
Conference Centre Manchester

Related Posts with Thumbnails