Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Radish/Mulangi Curry With Prawns

I don't make prawns at home often but when I cook them its always in combination with some vegetable.
I bet most of you might not have heard about this dish, but it is a favourite in the areas around Cuddalore and Pondicherry in TamilNadu. Whenever Prawn is in the menu for the sunday lunch, my mom always keeps aside a handful of them in the freezer to make this delicious thokku/curry the next day. 
Other vegetables that can be used in combination with Prawns are Ridgeguard, Bottleguard, Drumsticks and  Raw Plantain.


Ingredients:
1 medium white daikon raddish 
8 - 10 large Prawns, cleaned (if small use about 1/2 cup)
1 large onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
curry leaves
salt as required

Method:
Take 1 tblsp of oil in a pan
Add the fennel seeds and curry leaves when the oil is hot
When the fennel changes colour add the chopped garlic and onions, fry well till translucent
Now add the cleaned Prawns, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt
Saute till the prawns turns pink for about 2 mins. 
Now add the chopped up radish and mix well to coat the masala.
Add about 1/2 cup of water , close with a lid and let it cook for about 10 mins.
Add some chopped coriander and switch of the stove. 
The consistency of the curry should be semi dry
Serve with plain hot rice.



12 comments:

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Wow adding radish with prawn is something new to me..Will try out as my daughter loves prawns..thanks for sharing:)

Nisha said...

Thats a totally new combo for me

Guhan said...

''With self-denial take the well-selected meal;
So shall thy frame no sudden sickness feel''
-- Kural 945

Wishes Sumathi.

Guhan

Unknown said...

sounds like a nice and interesting combination...yum

Finla said...

Love prawns here and this looks so so yumm. Never had with radish thought love the idea.

Raksha said...

Nice combo.

Do participate in the Desserts with Coconuts event and giveaway on my blog.
http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/12/announcing-my-first-event-and-giveaway.html

Priya Suresh said...

Super delicious curry,never cooked prawns with radish..would love to try it soon.

Cham said...

Seeing the title i wonder if u were someone from my place (Pondy)!
We combine all veggie with prawns (usually the small one) but it is slightly different.
Looks delicious !

Kalyan said...

Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

divya said...

looks yummy and nice recipe..

Asmita said...

I have never eaten prawns with a vegetable like a radish in it. This looks interesting and healthy. When ever I make prawns I add onions and tomatoes or some coconut milk.
The prawns look delicious and very tempting!

Roshni said...

Looks Yummy Sumi. We are vegetarians at home (family on both sides are and my husband is). I love eating fish and chicken. You recipes make me want to have some now :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails