Thursday, January 06, 2011

Instant Idli Milagai podi / Chutney powder.

It started raining here today, but a little warmer than usual.Weather prediction says it even more warmer in the weekend 8C or 9C quite unuusal for this time of the year. But its really good to go shopping as January is the official sale month over here at Brussels :)
I was little bit down  this morning  partly because of the dark , no sunshine weather and also because of my new 'trying to peek out ' wisdom tooth. Have been having a hard time with that and on antibiotics and pain killer for the past few days. Since Iam taking all these medicines I wanted to have good breakfast not the usual bread and stuff. I had a few laddles of left ove Idlibatter ,but was too lazy and tired to make a chutney, and ironically I ran out of Idli podi.  Then this method of making simple Idli podi , that Amma makes often whenever she faces the same situation came to my mind.  During schooldays I used to just make this for mysellf even if there is sambhar or chutney on the table. 

Its a tip rather than a recipe. Even my husband who does'nt like the regular Idli podi (can you beleive it !!)  loves this version.



Here you go.

Ingredients:
Sambhar powder 2 tblsp
3 pods of Garlic
salt 
Gingelly/sesame oil
Home made Sambhar powder like the one here at Cilantro's works best. I think almost all South Indian home will have a jar of this. I get a big bag of this from Amma whenever I travel abroad.
Take 2 tblsp of sambhar powder in a small  bowl.
To this add 2 -3 pods of Smashed Garlic.
Add 1/2 tsp of salt. Add 2 table spoon of Gingelly oil (must).
Mix well, Let it sit for about 5 mins.



Note:
Do not chop or grind the garlic, it gives a bitter taste.
Do not dip the Idli /Dosai into it, unless you like it very very hot. Just a touch of it is enough to enjoy the goodness.

Let me know what you think .

20 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

I do them often whenever i feel lazy..u r tempting me, gonna make some today for dinner..

Jayashree said...

Nice idea....

Prema said...

Love the idea sumi,Dosa and Podi Perfect combo!
My eye is on ur podi serving dish.Luks cute:)

Kurinji said...

Nice....
Pongal Feast Event

Kurinji

Suji said...

wow..thats something quik fix..Thank you Sumi..

Unknown said...

Podi is my life saver :) yummy looking podi

Gayathri Kumar said...

Great idea and lovely presentation..

Chitra said...

Neat idea! Thank you for the tip.

Cham said...

I love this one....I like with some hot idlis!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

real great idea.

Cilantro said...

Amma made this easy fix podi with chilli powder, sambhar powder should have more flavor to it. Thanks for the mention for the sambhar podi.

Shri said...

I have only heard Milagai Podi only from my husband who is from Chennai. I have never made any. But the sambar podi definitely is unique and a great idea.

Torviewtoronto said...

first time here delicious podi

M D said...

I am a huge fan of these chutney powders and love them with Idlis and Dosa. Yum!

Krishnaveni said...

very easy recipe, looks yumm, thanks for visiting my blog, happy new year to you and your family

veena said...

Great idea and amazing clicks:-)

Chitra said...

Mesa in Colorado and Taos in New Mexico - I was blessed to be there. :-)

Lavanya Raj said...

Iam going to try out your tip sumi!

Princy Sandeep said...

SO easy.. And a great idea.. i always look out for different curries with idli and dosa. This one ll go with it.. thanxs buddy.

Unknown said...

hi sumi... sounds very yummy.....idli podi.. but rgt now i'm in Austria... is it possible to make idly dough here.. due to the climate and all ..... could u plz tell me about that.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails