Monday, July 07, 2008

Stromboli

I have tasted spinach & cheese Stromboli many times. Everytime I used to think that making the dough would be something very time consuming.But last week when I stumbled upon this recipe in food network website, I was very glad to see that it requires just the basic pizza dough.
The recipe for this starter is very simple and it can be done in minutes if you have the right ingredients.Since the base needs a basic pizza dough, I used the store bought pizza flour mix, not the frozen one(which also works fine).I mixed and matched many recipes and came up with this list of ingredients for stuffing, which is because this is what I had left in my refrigerator that day :)
It turned out perfect and we loved it.
I think I will include chicken in the stuffing when I try it next time.


Ingredients:
Any pizza dough, frozen or ready mix.

3 cloves garlic minced

1 green bell pepper thinly sliced

1 medium onion thinly sliced
1 tomato sliced
1/4 cup olives chopped
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese / any cheese of your choice
1 tsp olive oil

2-3 tblsp pasta sauce/marinara sauce ( its better if its chunky)
1 egg for egg wash / 1/4 cup


Method:
Preheat the oven to 350F /200C
Add the olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic ,onion and peppers.Keep aside.
Roll out the pizza dough into a rectangle , about 1/2 inch thick
Spread the onion mixture evenly leaving 1 inch at the borders.
Spread the tomatoes and olives over it.Top it with the pasta sauce.
Sprinkle the cheese as we do for pizza.

Brush one long end with the egg wash.

Roll the dough like a log, starting from the end without egg wash.

Brush the top with egg wash, and sprinkle some Italian seasoning
Place the log carefully on a baking sheet and bake for 20 - 25 mins.
Cut into think slices and serve warm.

7 comments:

Medhaa said...

very interesting, I have never tried this before. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! and easy to prepare.

www.zaiqa.net

Sagari said...

this looks delecious sumi

Sumi said...

Thanks medhaa, mona and sagari.Hope you all give it a try

Laavanya said...

That stromboli looks ooey, gooey delicious - yummy.

Andhra Flavors said...

Wow very creative idea.

Arundathi said...

the stromboli looks delicious!! thanks for letting me know about the yogurt cake and glad you liked it! :D do try it with different times - i guess mine is quite a small oven.
you have a lovely blog here - thanks for stopping by mine!

Related Posts with Thumbnails